Samus Cardigan Knitalong

Friday, November 04, 2005

different icord method

I'm up to the icord edging on my Samus. I decided to do it a little differently than the pattern says, and thought I'd share my changes, in case anybody else is interested.

I actually started with the method described in the pattern, but didn't like how it turned out. I don't know if it's the nature of that method or my technique, but it looked a bit sloppy. I've done attached icord before, and decided to look up that method, since I know I like how that one turned out.

I started the edging again yesterday, using the method described at this link. Here's a picture of my edging so far, from the inside of the work, as it was hard to get a good photo from the right side where the icord was really clear:

6 Comments:

  • I like the method, thanks for the link. Did you pick up all the sts first, or as you went?

    By Blogger Lyn, at 11:09 AM  

  • I've been picking them up a bunch at at a time. I pick up about as many as can comfortably fit on a spare DPN, and when the DPN is about 2/3 empty, I pick up some more.

    Also, I found that picking up only 3 of 4 stitches around the neckline, as suggested, wasn't enough. I think picking up one for every stitch is the way to go - at least for this method.

    By Blogger Rebekkah, at 11:46 AM  

  • Did you pick up and knit or just pick up the stitches? This always confuses me...

    By Blogger Kim, at 1:46 PM  

  • Pick up and knit. Or, rather, pull loops through with a crochet hook, then transfer them to an empty needle, because I find that infinitely easier than trying to do it with a knitting needle.

    By Blogger Rebekkah, at 3:20 PM  

  • Ok, thanks..that makes sense. I don't have any problem with just using a needle. I did at first until I figured out I was holding the yarn wrong. Now i just hold the yarn and needle as though I am knitting normally with two needles and it works fine.

    By Blogger Kim, at 6:10 PM  

  • I actually use two needles and knit the stitches on to the left needle. This makes the stitches nice and tight and does away with the need to knit the WS row through the back loop. This is different from just picking up stitches (with a crochet hook or a single needle) for me because the second way turns out looser for me (it may just be a question of tension). What are other techniques that people use?

    By Blogger Saffista, at 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home