Samus Cardigan Knitalong

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Newly Started Samus

Hi!

I'm making Samus in Laines du Nord Dolly Maxi, a merino yarn I got from Elann.com. It's wonderfully soft, superwash, and the color I'm using ('Wedgewood,' according to Elann) is just beautiful. I'm using the reccomended US8s, and everything seems to be going well in the gauge dept.

So last night, I was so excited to run home and cast on for Samus. I swatched first, trying it on 7s because I tend to think that everything should be knit rather tightly - I had to move to 8s and was swatching when I thought that I wouldn't like the fabric that I got if I went up any higher, and knowing that on US7s I was only off by a less than a stitch, I dug in with the US8s.

That cable nearly killed me. I had never really cabled before.

Picture034_2Let's start with the beginning: I can't really tell my right from my left. I mean, I can if I think about it, but I have to think about it - it's not something that comes to me naturally or quickly. I had also never read a chart before, so cabling from the chart was a bit of a challenge (I didn't like doing it from the written out pattern).
I kept on knitting when I should purl and twisting cables the wrong way because I was having so much trouble recognizing where each cable should be leaning in the pattern. So I grabbed some colored pens, and I color-coded my sheets.
I ripped out my first try at the cable, and CO again, this time with the cuff in mind - something small.

I was having at it, doing great, having no trouble knowing where each cable was supposed to go and what to do, but it was very slow. I kept on dropping the cable needle, and it was just unweildy to have all of these pointy things everywhere (says the knitter who loves DPNs!).

So I consulted some webpages, and learned to cable with a cable needle. That was the best idea ever!

I did run into one snag, as you can see in the picture (I will apologize for the poor quality - it's from my cell phone). I crossed a cable in the wrong direction, but didn't notice until much later, and I just didn't have the stamina to rip back. I don't mind too much - it's not overly noticable, it's only one mistake, and it's going to be the sleeve cuff, so it won't be seen a lot. I know it's silly to ask, but there is no way to fix it without ripping back, right?

I'm so excited to read about everyone's progress!

Jessie
http://gilneas.typepad.com

8 Comments:

  • You pretty much would have to rip it to fix it but speaking as a reluctant ripper recovering perfectionist, some of the charm of handknit is in the occasional quirk. I think it looks really really good -- keep going!

    By Blogger Stuntmother, at 5:22 PM  

  • I like the way it looks with that one mistake. It is probably something only you will ever notice and it is just a reminder of the path you took to get to a lovely finished sweater.

    Alyx
    http://stringtheoryfiberarts.typepad.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 PM  

  • Or you could just replicate the same thing in the other cuff and call it a design element!

    By Blogger Samantha, at 10:18 PM  

  • I wouldn't have noticed the mistake if you hadn't pointed it out. But we knitters are always confessing our secrets unnecessarily. It still looks nice.

    By Blogger jessie, at 6:54 AM  

  • Personally, I would rip, but that's me. I would never get over that one miscrossed cable.

    I probably need therapy. :)

    By Blogger Lauren, at 8:29 AM  

  • I have at least one mistake in everything I make, because no one is perfect :) I have a mis-crossed cable as well, back in the first of three repeats, no way I'm ripping so it's now my On Purpose Mistake for this item!

    By Blogger Dagny, at 9:34 AM  

  • I might even make it a sleeve cuff because n my mind they will get less attention than the waist cuff. Also, with such an intricate cable who's gonna know which way it's supposed to turn? :-)

    By Blogger Samantha, at 9:51 AM  

  • I did that too-crossed a cable in the wrong direction WAY back. I have resolved to ignore it!

    By Anonymous Paula, at 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home