Samus Cardigan Knitalong

Monday, September 26, 2005

It's amazing what one weekend, a few episodes of Alias, and a lot of free time can to do a sweater.

Picture036My Samus went from one tiny cabled band on Friday to a complete sleeve, and a good start for the next one by Sunday night. The yarn is lovely - it does split a little too easily, but is easly fixed by pulling and prodding the yarn. The cables show up beautifully, the color is wonderful, the fabric it creates is nice and heavy, with a good drape, and it's so soft - so soft that I can't imagine it ever even dreamed of being itchy. Also it's superwash. I don't know how it will hold up to pilling, and wear, but right now I'm in love. If you're still trying to figure out a yarn to purchase for Samus, I would highly reccomend Elann's Laines du Nord Dolly Maxi.

Picture037I was a little worried about transitioning from the cabled cuff to the sleeve of the sweater - I'm really bad at eyeing measurements and picking up stitches, and often have to rip back because I've picked up too many stitches. By some stroke of luck, that didn't happen - I picked up exactly 54 stitches, nice and evenly spaced, the first time around. I love how easily the sleeve body blends into the cable pattern - it looks wonderful and seamless, and very neat. I like that a lot. It was a little awkward knitting the first few rows, becaue the cable band is so much bulkier than simple stockinette, but it manipualted easily, and after a few rows, it was fine.

It's been a relatively quick knit, once I sat down to it. I did the second sleeve band in an afternoon (OK, an afternoon that stretched into an evening), and picked up the stitches for it last night. I'm a little scared for the sheer number of repeats for the body cable band, but I'll bite that bullet when I get to it, I suppose!

4 Comments:

  • Nice! Which shade of yarn is that? I love the colors on that merino yarn!

    By Blogger Amy, at 10:31 AM  

  • Elann calls it 'Wedgewood.'

    By Blogger Jessie, at 11:19 AM  

  • Jessie, your sleeve looks great! That is such a pretty color. It's rewarding when you see the progress.

    By Blogger Fiberbliss, at 3:42 PM  

  • That looks really great. My Samus is almost the exact same color in Cascade 220 so it is nice to know how well it should look when it is done. Fantastic job!

    By Blogger Meghan, at 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home