Samus Cardigan Knitalong

Wednesday, September 14, 2005


And so we begin. This Saxon braid thing is really working out for me. I am not very experienced wtih cables, so keeping the mental energy to one cable rather than a whole line of them is a bit easier to handle. The only problem for me with cables is that I am a leftie who knits left to right. (I should switch to continental but that's a whole other story.) So my LCs are actually RCs and vice versa. But it only took one full repeat to get the rhythm and not have to look at the cable instructions each time. (My daughter started gymnastics yesterday, which gave me 90 minutes to work. Not quite enough time to finish the first repeat, but I did more at home and it's getting faster.) I am totally hopeless when it comes to charts, which look like some twisted IQ test where all the shapes are similar but reversed or upside down. My head swims. So I'm loving the written directions. But one question: Why write out all the wrong-side directions instead of just saying, "Knit the knit stitches, purl the purls"?

My yarn is Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride worsted in Tahiti Teal. My first choice was actually a lighter gray-green, but they were one skein short and I wasn't going to gymnastics empty-handed. I spent some time drooling over some Green Mountain Spinnery Mountain Mohair but it wouldn't fit in my under-$100 price range. Nor would the Noro Silk Garden, which I think would really have made this sweater draw some attention. So in the end, I went with the basics, and I'm okay with that. Not ecstatic, but okay.

As long as I don't drop my cable needle under the bleachers.

3 Comments:

  • That is a very nice color. I had a hard time choosing a color. Too many choices.

    By Blogger Fiberbliss, at 6:37 AM  

  • I personally love the Tahiti Teal. It will look awesome with jeans and khakis!

    By Blogger Samantha, at 10:35 AM  

  • Oh, I love Green Mountain's Mohair, just finished a sweater for the 5 year old in it! But I think you did right to not use it for your Samus, the mohair blooms a *lot* when washed, and cables become very subtle.

    By Blogger Dagny, at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home